Sunday, February 1, 2015

Crafting Unsupervised



I realize that I have not posted regularly in quite some time prior to the last month. Truly, there isn't a very good excuse for not posting; however, in my defense, it was difficult to think beyond moving every month, doing rotations, studying for exams and finding places to live. It becomes a way of life, ignoring all the fun things. That isn't to say I didn't do an inordinate amount of cooking, less of the baking I'm afraid but fear not, even if my own adaptations don't make it up in a timely manner, I shall endeavor to regale you with recipes to try which I can attest to. As always, there's my Pinterest account which is just as good a source as I am for what goes on in my kitchen, whether it be in a shared flat in the UK, in a two-story house nestled in the suburbs of Long Island or down in the humid expanse of Miami.
This is a little post about why I shouldn't be allowed to craft unsupervised.

Top 10 Reasons Why Jenn Should Not Be Allowed to Craft Unsupervised

#1 I spend too much time procrastinating on Pinterest
            Seriously. WAY too much time. It's amazing that I get anything done when I'm constantly pinning recipes I want to try out. But it's such a good fount of information and ideas, there's just no resisting. Between recipes and DIY projects that catch my eye, I not only need a fully stocked kitchen with appliances but a complete craft room.

#2 Ravelry
            There's no counting how many patterns I have stashed on both Rav and my computer. This isn't even counting the random pamphlets, books and postcards of patterns which are scattered throughout my notebooks and desk. Now that I can crochet, it's like my fingers itch to make amigurumi whenever I see something cute. Like this strawberry that reminded me of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.

            Or I volunteer my time for test knits… which is absurd since I have other projects which need finishing. Why am I starting another… with a deadline? 

#3 Random amigurumi
            So this is mildly tied into reason #2 but I think it deserves its own category as well. I mean, my sperm was a combination of Giantmicrobes.com, the health fair and Rav. Turned out quite cute if I say so myself. If anyone hasn't seen the Fung Bros on Youtube, they have the perfect reasoning behind my fascination with amigurumi. Clearly it's an Asian girl like.

#4 I revert back to a child
            Seriously, half of the crafts I look at involve children. Whether it's a DIY costume or a hooded towel, I want it in an adult size. All those Disney and Pixar movies I continue to follow don't help the situation either. And then living with a 3 year old and 1 year old didn't help the matter either. It just gave me a good excuse to be a child.

#5 I have too much jewelry
            Alright, so perhaps one can argue that a girl can never have too much jewelry. But when every finger on your right hand but one supports a ring, something is wrong. (And occasionally the left gets adorned as well…) Never you mind the fact that I could potentially wear a new set of earrings every day for a month without doubling up a single day. That may just be a sign that I need to cut down on the accessories I make.

#6 There's just no room
            When your stash overflows the 50 gallon plastic tub hidden in the closet, you will know that the stash is too big. And yet what do I do? I buy more yarn, more fiber, make more clothes and accessories then… hide it in any and all recesses of my room that I can find. Look! A 2 inch hole, yay! It'll fit the heart I just crocheted.

#7 I have the urge to shop at Daiso, Dollar Tree and other thrifty stores
            Not only is this terrible for the crafter in me but why am I spending so much money at places that are essentially dollar stores? How can I possibly spend that much on crafting supplies? Actually, don't ask because I am not sure I can answer for that ball of yarn… or the card stock… shush… that wasn't 150 grams of pink beads.

#8 I end up cutting up old clothes
            Yes, perhaps I should also stop clicking on links from Facebook. But is it really my fault when I see a grown man cutting up a plain black swimsuit on a model and turning it into a piece of art? That is to say, I would never be able to wear such a thing; however, doesn't mean I don't want to try my hand at it.
            Some projects become like CakeWrecks or Pinterest fails, but this one turned out surprisingly well.

#9 My closet nerd comes out
            Silly scifi quotes. Check. Plain mugs. Check. Successful hunt for paint pens. Check. Truly, my love of reading has spawned something greater over the years. It all began with small classroom libraries which morphed into a library card where I could browse the shelves of public institutions for hours on end, filling my bag with science fiction, fantasy, paranormal adventures. Then, once computers and high speed internet became the norm (Yes… I realize I'm mildly dating myself), it was easier to indulge my interests, the hobbies and delights which helped occupy my free time and keep me from boredom.

            So perhaps it's a bit extreme to fill my life with quotes and accessories relative to TV shows and books but no more so than carting a WIP around for 6 months

#10 I put together random packages for friends
            So this isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least not for those on the receiving end. But between USPS cutting delivery days and the exorbitant fees UPS and FedEx charge for a simple package, if it doesn't fit in a flat rate, you will probably never receive it. Unless you are truly that special… and some people are. J
            However, I do believe the strongest deciding factor in whether or not gifts are received circle around the act of getting to the post office itself. Now, this is the true reason why hats have outgrown infants and tunics must be knit at larger gauge.

No comments: