Sunday, January 25, 2015

Knit a Story

Each ball of yarn has a beginning and an end, just like a story, just like life.

I posted about this project at the beginning of the year and here it is in its entirety now. These boot cuffs can be a bright addition to a gloomy winter outfit of blacks and browns and greys and are an easy knit to boot. Yes, yes, terrible punning. Truly, there are times when I cannot help myself. But I digress.

The Old English Lace Boot Cuffs are simple yet elegant in appearance. The addition of a bow adds a special flair of femininity without being overtly flamboyant. And best yet, they take less than a skein of sock yarn. So for a bit of stash busting (we all know there are skeins languishing in the back closet waiting to be knit up and not enough for gloves or a pair of socks) pick up your needles and click the link above.


Another finished project this year is my Date Night. So I exaggerated a slight bit upon posting it two weeks past on another social media network; however, I do believe that this project was very much like creating a newborn.
Close up

First off, it took over 30 weeks. True, full term would be 38-40 weeks so my dress was a bit premature. But thankfully needed no bethamethasone for fetal lung maturity, seeing as it was never truly alive... (Sheep don't die when their fleece are shorn). And I luckily did not have to gain a pound a week beginning halfway through my second trimester, but instead was lucky enough to gain only 200 grams in plied wool for the endeavor.

Besides the time, the love in caring for my work in progress (WIP) followed me through to the end. I kept the unused balls separate from the project. All the supplies,  extra needles, yarn and tape measure were carted through five states, six cities and more than seven different apartments. I brought my baby everywhere,  kept her in my purse for long bus rides, in my backpack for the plane, strewn on the bed as a reminder.

Now... now she is born and there is no good occasion to wear her. For the warmth she brings by covering my body is almost too much for a sunny day. But the lace features openings for wind and fog to creep in on cold San Francisco nights. My dress is fickle but she is mine even if there is no companion for the date I made her for, her namesake, the pattern.

For more details on the changes I made to the pattern for a dress length vs. top, follow the link to my Ravelry project page. :) Happy Knitting.


No comments: