Wednesday, February 8, 2012

When a chicken comes back to roost

When a chicken comes home to roost, you get chicken strips. Alright, so the saying has more of a negative connotation, what with curses coming back to bite you, an eye for an eye sort of deal, but this is more good than evil. Well... if you like spicy food that is.

I've been using Pinterest lately to look at recipes, DIY crafts and ideas. I mean, I'm stuck on an island with limited resources. I need to branch out somehow. I found this recipe through a pin that someone else had put on their board. Anyway, if there's a recipe I've tried, but I haven't had the time to post about it yet, I'll try to pin it. So Follow Me on Pinterest. Granted, there'll be plenty I haven't tried. But here's one I just made for dinner. :)
Sriracha Chicken Strips

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup Sriracha (or another hot sauce you have on hand)
1 tbs rice vinegar
1 tsp Maggi sauce (or soy sauce)
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 inch minced ginger
1/2 cup flour
1 large egg
1-1.5 cups panko bread crumbs
salt/pepper to taste
garlic salt
dried parsley

Slice the chicken breasts into 1/2 inch pieces, I got about 10 pieces from a large chicken breast. The original recipe had about 12 pieces of chicken from 2 breasts. In a large gallon ziploc bag, combine the Sriracha, vinegar, Maggi sauce, garlic and ginger. Put the chicken strips in the bag and marinate in the fridge between 1-4 hours. I let them sit for about 2 hours.

When you're ready to bake, prepare the worktable. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Take the chicken out of the fridge. On a small plate, pour out the flour. In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Place the bread crumbs in another small dish with the salt/pepper/garlic salt/dried parsley. This is a bit of an assembly line. I also lined a pan with foil and oiled it lightly.

Using chopsticks, I dredge the chicken in the flour, shaking off the excess. Transferring to the egg, I coated it before rolling in the breadcrumbs and laying it onto the sheet pan. If you use your hands instead of chopsticks, have one wet and one dry hand so that it doesn't get so messy.

When all the chicken is coated, place in the oven for 20 minutes. I flipped the chicken halfway through and then broiled the bottom side for 2 minutes before taking them out.They're crispy, not too spicy with a hint of Sriracha.

No comments: