Sunday, June 2, 2013

Healthy Eating

Is it strange that the healthier I eat, the hungrier I am? Somehow, it doesn't seem to work out. If I'm hungrier then I'll eat more. If I eat more, that means it could potentially be unhealthy. Granted, it all depends on what I'm eating.

Yesterday and this morning probably made up the healthiest eating I've had since I started surgery. It's definitely on of the most well rounded meals I've had in all of my pre-test studying experience. I know, it sounds impossible, doesn't it? At some point, I must have made a healthy meal before an exam, but truthfully, some of the quickest meals were also the most fat laden comfort foods known to man. Mmm... fat.

Anyway, onto the pseudo-recipes of the day. It's more of a compilation of ingredients which you could switch up however you like, and it's not completely homemade, but for the quick meal before sitting down for 12 hours in front of the computer, it's simple and yummy.

And for the time when I'm not studying, each of the individual pieces will be made from scratch in the future. They've been on my list long enough that it's just a matter of time before I get the proper tools to create them.

So, yesterday's dinner was full of protein AND vegetables.

Lamb/Falafel Open Faced Pitas



Pita bread (prepackaged from store)
Hummus (homemade/storebought)
Red pepper (sliced)
Cucumber (sliced)
Plain yogurt
Falafel and/or lamb meatballs

Turn the oven on to the lowest setting and place the pita bread on the rack to warm through while prepping everything else.

Slice the red pepper into strips and cucumber into thin rounds.

In a pan with a bit of oil, cook the lamb meatballs until medium/medium-rare or however well done you want them. To better fit on the pita, I took the spatula and pressed them into a disk while cooking. The same follows for the falafel which I just bought premade as well and only needed to reheat.

When everything is ready, place the pita on a place and spread a generous amount of hummus on top.  Layer the vegetables and meat as you like. I placed the cucumber slices first, scattered the peppers randomly and then laid the meat/falafel out in a row on top. With a fork, I also drizzled a little plain yogurt on top of everything. You could really use anything you like in terms of veggies and toppings in general. :)


And then this morning, don't know what got into me, but I decided that a smoothie was in order. Perhaps it was because I was so incredibly tired and I figured a cold burst of sugar would wake me up (in addition to the shower of course). It was definitely one of the best ideas I had this morning as opposed to getting coffee and a yumyum, which was one of the options I considered...




Strawberry Peach Smoothie
1 cup strawberries (I used frozen)
5 small peaches (I used 2 peaches and 3 nectarines)
1 cup ice
¼ cup yogurt (Greek Honey)
¼ cup apple juice
Smattering of cranberries for some tartness

Toss everything into the blender and let it run until there are no more giant chunks floating around. Pour into a cup, stick in a straw and slurp away! I only drank half and put the rest into the freezer.



 

No comments: