Sunday, June 16, 2013

It's All Relative

So I don't think I've ever really exposed the exceedingly dorky side of me on this blog as of yet. Granted, the random medical school related stories are fairly nerdy in themselves, but this is completely unrelated to learning and school. In fact, this is definitely extracurricular. ;)

What in the world am I blabbering on about? First, let's start at the beginning.

I was 18 and it was our second trip back to China. We had just gotten home from a banquet and it was midnight or so. Our parents were still downstairs entertaining guests but my brother and I had been shooed upstairs to go to sleep (as if we were actually going to do that). Instead, we turned on the tv and tried to find something in English. After a few weeks in China and only each other to talk to, it was getting to the point that we didn't want to watch any more Asian dramas.

Guess what we end up watching? I vaguely remember the episode, but I clearly remember the Doctor and Martha. It was my very first introduction to Doctor Who and I loved it. We watched two episodes that night but it would be another few years before I got back into it. During undergrad, I caught random episodes but it wasn't until starting medical school and meeting one of my best guy friends that I got back into it.  In the span of the next two years on Sint Maarten, I watched all of the episodes available for the current reincarnation of Doctor Who.

And you know what? It was amazing. While I haven't always been a lover of pure science fiction, the quirky nature of the Doctor and the adventures with his Companion have an element more of fantasy than science which draws me in like a fly to honey.

I fell in love with David Tennant, the 10th Doctor and it was a while before I could find myself enjoying the series as much. It was still good, the stories were still enthralling and the terror of finding stone angels hiding in the corners of the shadows still kept me on my toes, but I missed his blue suit, the messy hair and the way he was so quintessentially the strange but incredible man I could completely see myself following into the threads of time.

Now I find myself laughing along with Matt Smith, the 11th Doctor and I can't imagine him without Amy and Rory. His erratic nature is very different from David Tennant, who was more stoic but oh how his emotions ran deep; Matt is more the fanciful dreamer, a smile always at his lips but harboring enough wisdom and power to destroy a race if needed to protect those under his care.

Alright, so that's enough dorky gushing for one day. But no worries, there's a definite reason for this post. Just wait for the next one, which hopefully gets written soon. I do realize that I'm about two weekends behind in stories at the moment but the next will be full of knitting, train rides and things you never thought would happen (well, something I didn't think would happen at least).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very impressive post! thanks alot for making it readable!

Kaplan Lecture Notes Usmle Step 2ck US Printed